Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Like a Child

Lately I have been thinking a lot about what it means to be a child of God. I have been looking back to a song I started to write not too long ago that says "These are Your clothes. No one would know, because I've covered them in mud." Almost everyone has, at some point as a child, attempted to wear their parents' clothes. Maybe it was a grandparent, or an older sibling. Whoever it was, most of us have wanted to be like someone we look up to so much that we've slipped on their shoes, or we've pulled on their work uniform. But somehow this usually ends up the same. Maybe its because the boots were 8 sizes too big, or maybe its because the shirt was long enough to trip over. Either way, we end up falling, not quite ready to live up to our role model. Like a child, I want to be so much more like Christ, and so I imitate him. In a sense, I am wearing His clothes. But just like the small child who cannot walk in his father's coat without tripping over it, I always end up failing, too covered in sin and worldliness afterwards for anyone to recognize that I am indeed trying to be more like my heavenly Father. As I continue to think about this whole concept of being a 'child of God' I am reminded of another piece I started to write but never finished a while back. It was called Like a Child. I took everyday things that children do and reformed them to be something I want to do as a child of God. For example:
I will play in Your light like rain. I will dance while I sing Your praise. I will jump when You call my name. I will grow more like You everyday. Like a child.
So now my mind is racing to blend these two songs together somehow. I've got an idea or two, but it might take some time. Unfortunately I get very impatient with things like this, coincidently, much like a child. All while trying to wrap my mind around this concept, that God has called us to be His children and what that exactly means for our lives.
1 John 3:1 How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!

1 comment:

Sue said...

Can't wait to hear the finished product. I KNOW it will be a blessing!

Keep it up, Nate. You have a rare, heavenly Father inspired talent...