Friday, November 28, 2008

Following vs. Knowing

Today I carefully added all the blogs I follow using the blog list widget to the actual "Follow" function on the blogger dashboard. It took way to long! I quickly realized this was a waste of time. I enjoy keeping updated on everyone's blogs, but I would much rather visit blogs directly than simply reading posts through Google Reader or on my dashboard. You see, I feel like I'm actually stepping into someone else's turf when I visit their blog.
What does their template look like? What font do they type in? What widgets do they use? Are they playing music?
It's what a person writes about in combination with all these other factors that allows me to feel like I am getting to know them. Like following them versus knowing them. If only I realized this about myself before I spent forty-five minutes copying and pasting thirty-seven blog addresses ;o)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

very good point! although i had people in my reader, i make it a point to go directly to the site. it just adds to the experience, i suppose.

having said that, your site is very very nice :)

i hope you don't mind if I add you to my blogroll

Keym said...

You see.... this is exactly why I said I wasn't going to follow the new norm.

Anonymous said...

Hi that sounds a bit up my alley... LOL but I really like this painting... is it yours?

cheers