Tuesday, September 9, 2008

In Response to my Previous Post

So, after my long depressing rant from my last post, I read biblegateways verse of the day, which is Titus 2:2.
Teach the older men to be temperate, worthy of respect, self-controlled, and sound in faith, in love and in endurance.
So the answer to my question, whether or not to believe if this kid is sincere about wanting to rehabilitate, is this: IT DOES NOT MATTER. My role in this isn't to predict his future, just to teach him. He isn't an "older man", but is one of the older kids in my program, and looked up to many, and he will be older one day. All I can do, all I need to be concerned with, is teaching him how to be a respectable, self-controlled person, encouraging his faith and endurance to not engage in harmful behavior. How he responds to these teachings is not my responsibility. Only his.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You work in a world that is so forign to me, but I'm thankful God is useing you in this way.

Nate, you are right...you are planting seeds here, some will grow,some won't. When you see a seed sprout, you can water and feed it but then you hand it over to God and He will make it grow. Blessings

brenda c said...

Isn't it just like God to put his word right in front of us when we need it most!! By the way the advice you gave us has now been put into place and the young man really got his eyes open!!!Thanks

Nathan said...

Brenda!!! I am so glad to hear about that!!! I've been thinking about that young man the past couple weeks and thought about e-mailing you too see how it's going. Praise God! I'm so glad his "eyes are opening" !

bryan vickery said...

i always think of the prophets in the OT. they went city to city warning them of their impending destruction, but the people frequently ignored them.

our job is to relay the message and love on people. the Holy Spirit will take it from there.