Saturday, September 6, 2008

Angels On The Moon

This week has continued to be full of blessings at work. Yesterday, I got a phone call around 3:30pm. It was from a resident I worked with when I was a direct care staff working with emotionally disturbed teens.
We'll call this kid Will.
Will is exceptional. His story is heartbreaking, but bare with me. It gets better.
The abuse he survived was horrific.
He was beaten daily, sometimes even with a fishing pole with a hook in it. He was starved. He was forced to watch his sister and mother be sexually abused often. All at the hand of his father. And these events were only the daily occurrences. It got worse. Once, his father was angry with the family dog for making a mess in the house, so he killed the dog. Will was so upset that he cried and screamed at his father, who then locked Will into a small dog carrier with the dead dog in it and left him there for days.
Will pleaded for help. He wrote a letter to his third grade teacher telling her that he was beaten and starved at home, but she felt this was a private, family matter and did not get involved. When it comes down to it, the whole town knew. No one did anything to help. They were too scared of Will's father.
One day, Will decided he wanted to play with his father's handgun, so he carefully snuck into the bedroom to get it. He then took it to his own room and contemplated shooting his father. He had tried running away before, but it never worked.
Will became distracted by a bucket of Lego's, a sign of how truly young he still was. He began playing with the Lego's until his father entered the room and began threatening and cussing at him for taking the gun. Will pointed the gun at him and began to ease the trigger. He wavered and wondered if this was the right thing to do. It was too late. Will was ten years old.
He woke hours later in a cornfield, to a police office saying, "You killed your father." Will was shipped out to Pennsylvania to live in a hospital for almost seven years, seeing his mother twice a year.
Indiana decided it wanted Will back, and petitioned that he be relocated in a facility somewhere within his home state. Will was moved into a secured treatment program on the campus where I work.
He, for the first time in his bleak life, began to excel. His mother lived thirty minutes away and visited once a week. He thrived in treatment and even began to run a group for the younger residents using the book Who Moved My Cheese. After completing this program, he moved into a less secure environment, a cottage for emotionally disturbed youth, were I worked.
Will had some struggles, but considering what he came from, his behavior was excellent. Will completed his GED and began taking courses at Ivy Tech. He wanted a degree in criminal justice.
Will began joining some other residents and went to church with me sometimes. He asked God to forgive him for killing his father, and turned to God for healing.
Almost a year ago, Will completed our program and was moved to independent living. He ran away once and was in detention for a couple months. Now he is living in Kentucky, still going to school and working at Wal-Mart.
He called to tell me he was watching MTV and saw a music video by Thriving Ivory, for their song, Angels On The Moon. He said the piano player made him think of me, and the lyrics mention something about the world knowing or remembering your name. He thought he'd give me a call and let me know he remembers my name.
I encouraged him to find a church where he lives now. He said that he has looked, but none were "as cool your church in Farmland."
It was awesome to talk to him after so long, and to hear him say thank you for helping him. That's not why I help, to hear a thank you, but there is something so moving about that moment someone truly thanks you when you least expect it, especially when it has to do with their spiritual welfare.
It's like God giving me a glimpse of reason why I should continue doing this, even when I don't want to anymore.
I had never heard of Thriving Ivory, so I checked out the video. It's down below if you want to see. And yes, I really did have hair like that at one point ;o)

4 comments:

Sue said...

Nate,
All I can say is you must surely have God's grace to help you cope with your job. I CANNOT imagine...

I am glad you were able to touch that young person's life in a positive way!

"Father along we'll know all about it. Farther along we'll understand why..."

Shelby-Grace said...

That is amazing! Your job is tough and challenging. It's great to hear you've had a couple of rewarding days with your kids.

You do a great job with them and God is truly blessing them through you!

--V-- said...

I remember you talking about him. What a horrible childhood! It's great to hear that he's doing better now- thanks in large part to you! You are truly in the right place, no matter how difficult and painful your job might be. Will is just one example of the many, many people that you have helped. I'm so proud of you Nate-Nate!!

Nathan said...

Aw shucks, thanks -V- ;o)

And everyone else, too!