Thursday, September 4, 2008

A Day of Praises at Work!

Today at work, one of my residents told me he felt like his progress was declining. He began a long rant about how nothing seems to be going right and that he doubts he is able to meet the expectations that have been provided for him. As he continued to pour out all this negativity, I thought back to when I first met him. I remembered that he proudly toted his bible everywhere, often prayed, and openly shared his faith with others. This is when he was excelling in all areas. I remember thinking how miraculous it was that God delivered him from such darkness, a darkness he was quickly retreating back to. Before I even realized what I was doing, I interrupted his rant and said, "You know, I haven't seen your bible in a while." I panicked as soon as I said it. Talking to residents about faith is a big NO-NO unless they specifically request to speak about it first. A staff was in the room as well. I was comforted by his response as he gave me an encouraging nod and smile, knowing exactly what I was feeling at that moment. But the deal breaker was going to be the resident's response. He sat silently, expression flat. "Well, yeah. I haven't and I don't think I should. I don't follow it like I should," he said defensively. After a few awkward moments of silence, he choked up a little, dropped his head down and said, "I don't know why I walk away. He helps me. God helps me every time I let him . Sometimes I just . . . don't let him anymore. I don't know why." I immediately was filled with relief that the comment I made was received well and seemed to have a positive effect. It was a good moment for the both of us. This young man's eyes were opened to a pattern in his relationship with God, an inconsistency that directly correlated with his ability to overcome personal struggles and temptation. I believe he will learn from this. I was also greatly blessed by this moment. It is a true testimony for me to see someone so young who has endured such unbelievable things rely on God and recognize Christ as the savior. It was also a fantastic feeling to encourage this teen to turn to God in his time of need, as this is not something I get to do or say as often as I'd like. I had another great moment today as well. Another resident said he felt he needed to disclose more about his past behavior. He told me he has been attending a Wednesday church service with one of my staff, and that Jesus is helping him take responsibility for what he has done. He then disclosed that a behavior he has previously insisted he only committed once in his lifetime was actually a behavior he engaged in every night for almost four months. I was so proud of him for this disclosure and it was apparent that God had given him the strength to do this! What A Day of Praises at Work! Today's Biblegateway verse of the day is Matthew 28:18-20, which I love. Matthew 28:18-20 Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

4 comments:

Sue said...

Once again, I am in awe of the responsibility you carry at your work, Nate.

Sounds like the Holy Spirit certainly used you to help that young person. Thank you for following His lead. And thank Him that for one moment, a crack in the "rules" was able to be breached and God's purposes came through. Wouldn't it be great if we weren't bound by all the rules we have to follow at work when it comes to witnessing. How much good could be accomplished. But God knows and is still in control!!!

Anonymous said...

It's always a relief when a great day comes in the midst of some not-so-great days. Praise God :)

Kate said...

By the way, the above comment is from Kate - not sure why it posted as anonymous...

Tonya said...

In your line of work what a blessing to have a day like that. Not many of us can say we have seen God start to transform a life, what a miracle!