Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Day 04: Favorite Book

The Chronicles of Narnia are some of my favorite books.
I love them and their way of whisking the reader off to another world that is so fantastical, yet oddly familiar. When I first read where the lion reveals himself as the Lamb, I cried. A lot.

The Wicked series is another favorite. Of course, it lacks the spiritual components of The Chronicles, but it too invites the reader into a wonderland where not all problems are so unfamiliar. A Lion Among Men is my favorite in this series.

He Chose the Nails is a great book about the crucifixion of Christ. Its one of those books I find myself referring back to from time to time, ultimately learning something new with each visit. I originally came across it when writing a song about Jesus' victory over death and sin, and God really spoke to me through that book, and used it to guide me through His Word.

Of course, the bible would be on the list as well. I have a complicated relationship with the bible. Sometimes I lack commitment and don't put forth enough effort in keeping close touch, but like all good friends, I always find myself accepted back mercifully. I've found over the last couple months that reading God's word out-loud is a powerful thing. We've been reading the bible with one another in our men's bible study on Monday nights, and I'll typically read about four chapters each work night to my group-home kids before bedtime. The results are outstanding, as I feel myself more engaged in the Word when it is spoken, as I believe its Creator meant it to be.

I must admit, I have a difficult time finishing books, even ones I enjoy. I tend to get about 3/4's of the way through something, then suddenly lose steam. It's a terrible habit. So, its unlikely I'll ever accumulate a very long list of favorites ;o)

No comments: