Saturday, August 7, 2010

Working Man

I've spent this past week in training for a new job.
Its weird.

I had been looking for a job since February, and just last week I came to an interesting convergence, where three employers offered me a job within a two-day time frame. After some prayer, counsel with good friends, and taking into consideration some simple common-sense factors, I came to a conclusion.

I accepted a position at a place called New Haven, a residential treatment facility offering services to youth who have severe mental health and behavioral issues which have impeded their own ability, and that of their peers', to receive a public education. These children most often cannot be safely maintained in their family's homes and are unable to function within the community.

So, although I know I'll be working at New Haven, I'm not exactly sure what it is I'll be doing there.You see, several options have been put out on the table for me. They each have their pros and cons, so I'm just trying to decide which job is best for me considering my skills-set, my ambitions and goals, and practical things such as wages and scheduling.

 But most of all, what job best fits within my true purpose of moving to Cali?  
A) What job will offer the flexibility and schedule necessary to be an integrated part of the church-planting process?  
B) What job will offer the most opportunities to share the unconditional love and mercy of Jesus Christ?
 B) will be the easiest purpose to fulfill, as far as finding the opportunities to demonstrate Christ's love. In this field, there will always be someone offering the chance to give forgiveness and mercy ;o) The difficulty in this area will be maintaining my own sanity ;o)

But meeting the demands of A) will be more challenging. I've made it very clear to the staffing committee that the church plant is my first priority, and one of the committeemen said to me, "We need you here on campus. We don't like making scheduling exceptions, but like I said, we need you. We'll make it work, somehow."
So, I'm praying that . . . well, we make it work somehow.

I'll be sure to update about my work situation soon when it's figured out a little more!

No comments: