Sunday, August 29, 2010

I'm exhausted. And so blessed.

Today I had to work by myself and the kids were sooooo hyper. Bedtimes were a nightmare. No one was in there own beds. Some kids were fighting. Others were wondering around the house. One was just laying on the floor non-compliantly. I prompted and redirected and consequenced and even begged a little. But no luck. Finally, I just gave up. The entire day had been a fight I just couldn't put up anymore. So I filled the sink with some hot water and started in on the dinner dishes. And sang my lungs out, completely ignoring the kids. And, to my surprise, within ten minutes of a rather soulful improvisational rendition of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star (lol), every child was asleep right where there were the last time I'd looked at them. Such a blessing! I was about to lose my mind!

(Then I come home to my amazing wife. And to an amazing e-mail.)

Overall, this week has been the most challenging at work so far. And because of some staffing and program related issues, the next few weeks are unlikely to be any better. Right before this week started, I agreed to pick up 16 extra hours a week, on top of my already full-time hours. The money is needed, but so is my sanity, and I don't want to work myself down to a place personally where I am not able to give my 100% to the kids. So after much consideration, I e-mailed the schedule coordinator today in hopes of renegotiating. One of the extra shifts was a first shift, right before  my usual Thursday second shifts. Thats a 7am to 11pm shift every week for a month. I'm just afraid that this, on top of my full-time hours and the Wednesday evening shifts I've picked up throughout September, will be just too much considering how chaotic the group-home has been.

Hopefully the scheduling coordinator will understand ;o /

So, yeah. I'm exhausted. But I feel blessed to be so tired! Its the kind of tired you feel because of a looong and hard weeks' work. And that's a good feeling to have from time to time!

No comments: