Saturday, August 28, 2010

Opportunity Knocks in Nasty Ways Sometimes

Today my car got all jacked-up by a kid at work. A big ding in my door needs popped out, and I have some pretty extensive scratches in my hood. There are also some deep nicks in my sunroof and the windshield.

But I didn't yell. I didn't even flinch.

He threatened to bash-in my face with the same rock he so efficiently bashed-in my car with.

But I didn't yell. I didn't even flinch.

Today ten aggressive and mentally-ill young men saw that, to some people in this world, other human beings are more important than things, even expensive things like cars. They saw that, to some people in this world, another person's emotional stability and welfare are more important than their own safety, even more important than their own face. Today three tired and worn out staff were reminded of why they are there doing what they do.

Opportunity knocks in nasty ways sometimes. Just take a deep breath. And open the door. 
Allow the God to do the rest.

Its not always easy, but it gets a little easier every time. Those around you might witness His presence in ways they've never seen before. Today I was amazed and saddened that it was an honest surprise to these children that I would care about one of them moreso than my own belongings.

Such a pity. But God showed them something unconditional today, and hopefully the impression will be a lasting one.

1 comment:

Coby said...

I'm sad your car's jacked up.
But I'm glad that those kids know someone cares about them.

You rock Nate. Keep it up, my friend.