Saturday, August 28, 2010

Today's Writing Prompt: Food

Write about a food that gives you a specific emotional response.

Hobos.

That's what we used to call it when we'd throw a little bit of this and that in a sheet of foil with a hamburger patty, fold it up, and toss it over the fire to cook. Usually potatoes, green beans, carrots, sometimes corn, mushrooms and asparagus. A dash of salt and pepper. Maybe a little dab of butter.

Mmm.

When I eat them I just think about being with my family, sitting around the campfire back on their farm in Indiana. I can almost feel them around me now just thinking about it; smelling the fire smoke, hearing the crickets and frogs down by the water. And it always seemed like the stars would just shine extra bright on those nights. Big bright stars. And Dad would always sing, "Stars shining bright above me . . ."

Sigh.

No comments: