Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Destructive Fear

"The LORD is my light and my salvation - whom shall I fear?" - Psalm 27:1a

What are you afraid of? Are you afraid of spiders? Are you afraid of flying? How about public speaking? If so, you are in good company. A poll once asked people to list their greatest fears. Would you believe, death actually came in second? What was first? Speaking in public. I guess this means that at a funeral, more people would rather be the corpse than deliver the eulogy!

We face many fears in our lives. While some fear is actually healthy, most is not. The fear that paralyzes us, that makes us want to quit, that makes us want to give up, that causes us sometimes to not even try - these are destructive fears. We all need and want strength in facing those bad fears.

The good news is that God will give you the ability to face down these destructive fears, if you'll simply trust Him, and seek His will in doing what is right. He will stand beside you as you face the fear of rejection, or death, or even giving a speech. God gives us victory over the bad fears that cause us to miss out on the joy of walking and living in His will.

*Borrowed from HERE.

So true. I can't explain the feelings of joy of walking and living in God's will when I simply place my trust in Him. When my eyes are on the Lord my fears diminish to nearly nothing, but when I glance away, even if only for a second, the fears flood in and rise to a destructive level. But God never ceases to have mercy on me. He claims victory over my fears and repairs what has been damaged, every time. In my weakness He is strong and mighty.

No comments: