Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Pass or Fail

Yesterday evening after our men’s bible study, I got into a little side-conversation with a couple of the fellows. (Yes, I just used the word ‘fellows.’ And I think I like it.) We were sharing in some hardships we’ve experienced in ‘doing church’ and came upon the topic of what I think can be all summed up to just truly living in community with one another.

This particular subject is my passion. And for being somewhat introverted myself, that’s an odd thing. But I focused my college studies on sociology and intrapersonal relationships. I’ve spent most of my professional life trying to build community with those living on the fringe of society, working to engage in life with them and somehow spark their interest in becoming a part of the rest of the world outside of their own unhealthy niches.

I could babble on for hours . . .

But anyway, back to community building and church. The fact is, we suck at it.

A while back I wrote a post about how we all are gifted in different ways, and that as followers of Christ we have no choice but to learn how to maximize those gifts to share Christ’s love with one another. And I still believe this whole-heartedly.

But it’s not enough.

We must be intentional in all we say and do. It’s a lot of pressure.

But . . . tough!

We’ll fail from time to time. Of course we will. This is a reality.
But not trying is just not an option.

I’m not just talking about kissing each other’s butts, either. No way! Although there are plenty of scriptures about speaking to one another with words of kindness and encouragement, there are also tons that direct us to guide one another in growth and offer accountability.

How could one man provide this for an entire congregation?
Simple. He can’t.
It’s not the pastors’ job.
It yours. Mine. Everyone’s!

Aren’t we grateful when we’re feeling good? When everything in our body is working just the way its suppose to? No aches. No pains. Everything is just . . . fine.

Don’t we notice when something’s not quite right? Isn’t it amazing how an earache, one tiny amount of fluid in a tiny crevice somewhere never seen without a funny little contraption, can completely ruin our day?

I mean, this body is complex. It’s big! But let me tell you, a blister on this pinkie-toe of mine can just throw the whole thing off-course!

Likewise, if we’re part of a body like we’re called to be, we should notice what’s working like it should be, and what’s not. Doesn’t it affect you? If not, are you really one body?

But just noticing isn’t enough. We gotta take the next step! Maybe give a, “Good job, Mr. Ear! Thanks for hearing!” Or perhaps a, “You know, Mr. Eye, I think you have more to offer than just this. Maybe its time to consider glasses.” Either way, speak it in love and truth!

Often, people use the excuse that this is not their strong suite. Know what? Doesn’t matter! Some of the most impacting encouragement and accountability I’ve ever received was from people who either weren’t gifted or comfortable in this area. Knowing that they cared enough about me and what God wants for me enough to step out of their comfort zone means the world!

We have to be intentional.

Being so passionate about this, I often search for scriptures regarding the topic and realize again and again how short I fall of the standard clearly set before me. I’ve seen lives changed; a lasting change, aided by lasting support. My own life included. So I’ll keep plugging away and working at it.

Recently, I’ve found myself inside this vacuum of . . . awesomeness. I’ve got an amazing group of people around me. (On a side note, I use this term ‘around me’ loosely, as several very influential people in my life are thousands of miles away. Their influence despite that distance is a testimony to the power of being intentional!) The past two-weeks or so have been so chalked-full of encouragement. Encouragement in the traditional sense, but also to grow, to weed out certain parts of myself, to nurture others, to excel, to step up. etc. And in this, I feel a certain confidence, yet self-awareness into my inequities.

I can feel the Spirit surging through me. And the thing is, it always is. The Spirit is always in me. But I’m in a place of spiritual health to harness it right now; to be sensitive to it and sense it’s presence. Because not only am I healthy (to some degree ;o) but the body I belong to is healthy, as far as how we function as integrated entities. The benefits are outstanding, and only further fuel my passion for this body to grow and function more and more as God intends, and to see other people’s lives change as mine has been!

So, what’s this post about? It’s hard to say. I'm rambling. It's late.
I guess I’m excited of things that are and things that are to come! I’ve been hurt by unwillingness to share true community (or perhaps just the ignorance of how to do this), and I’ve been healed within its fellowship.

Its a ‘pass or fail’ kinda deal. And just think back to Jr. High! What classes tended to use the ‘pass or fail’ system? PE? Choir? Art? Home Ec? The type of classes where all you had to do was just try and make a noticeable effort! That’s all!

You get the point.

I’ve passed. And I’ve failed. And no doubt, I’ll fail again. But I’m hoping, as God continues to stress the importance of this to me for my own personal healing, for His glory and His Kingdom’s growth, that I’ll more often than not put forth enough effort to . . . pass.

1 comment:

--V-- said...

My eyes teared up reading this. Not sure why exactly. Maybe it's because I miss you both and this piece reminds of that. Maybe it's because I'm experiencing regret for not being intentional. For taking things for granted when I shouldn't have. I think it's important to be honest--not to tell people what they want to hear or what you think they need to hear. Just honesty.

I remember sitting on the couch at the apartment, crying about something....about everything. And rather than saying something like, "It's not that bad" you pretty much agreed that life sucked at the moment...but it wouldn't stay that way forever. That was much more impactful and helpful than pretending everything was okay. Soooo...yeah. You're right. And thanks :D