Friday, October 17, 2008

New Song

I've had a few songs brewing in the back of my brain lately, but didn't want to focus on them just yet, because songwriting tends to consume my every thought if I let it. Well, now that my courses are over, I've allowed my mind to wonder more, and over the past few days something really cool has been developing. Well, something that I think is really cool, anyway ;o) I am at the stage of songwriting where it's all coming together and the last thing to do is figure out how the melody and lyrics will interact. Sometimes they clash and one of them, or both, will need to be tweaked some. This is my favorite part of writing, but probably the most annoying for everyone around me. I will completely focus on a very short phrase or two and sing it over and over again until I'm satisfied with it. Then I will begin to include the next phrase or so, building onto the progress I've already made.
It's slow and repetitious. Exciting for me, but not for my poor wife who's stuck in the car with me and has heard the same two phrases of a song repeated continuously for three hours. She is super supportive and encouraging, but a person can only take so much . . . Sorry Honey.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How cute!!!