Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Self-care = loving God

Self-care. Round two. A group of us met up at Escondido Joe's yesterday after a week of reflecting on what self-care is. We didn't come to any profound conclusions, but some significant thoughts did arise. 
Self-care = spending time with God = worship

What if you worshiped daily? How would your life change? My life? It would change tremendously.

God tells us to take his yoke, that his burden is light. But sometimes, that burden doesn't seem so light. I have to ask myself, why is this? Maybe I've deceived myself into believing it's God's yoke I'm carrying, when really its my own. There are worldly pleasures that ensue when serving God.  People notice. Some people respect me for it. It feels good to help people. It's nice making an impact. And sometimes... it just becomes a routine...

It's a terrible truth. Sometimes we fool ourselves into thinking we wear God's yoke when its our own burden we carry. But when I have awareness... when I'm focused on why I serve instead of how I'm serving... the burden is light. I have to be diligent managing the mediation of my heart and mind.

The more we are in love with God, the more love we have to share with others; the more love we have for ourselves. Love. What is love? How do we love? What does it look like? How do we love others? How do we love ourselves? How do we love God?

These are some questions that came up continuously. But that's a whole new post in itself...
It didn't matter how far off topic we'd get, we always returned to one thing;  

Self-care = loving God

No comments: