Monday, March 3, 2008

Road Trip and the Ultimate Destination

Ever aimlessly wander, and find yourself at a destination you never expected? A destination that nonetheless seems to be an inevitably important part of your journey? And what is a good journey without your favorite person by your side? A few laughs? A great song or two? Something a little deeper? And the people? Not the people you’d expect to be a part of your journey. Everyone else. The people that make the random gas stations memorable. The people that make want to forget certain stops along the way. The potholes, the detours, the breath-taking sceneries. The accidents you pass along the road. It’s all so tragic, beautiful. Seemingly endless. One destination onto the next, some standing out from the others. All important, being a part of one continuous journey, leading to one ultimate destination. This is no road trip. This is life. Mine at least. And I’m only beginning to fathom the importance of the smaller stops along the way, and how they all interact to determine the ultimate destination. I was reminded this weekend that the length of my journey is unknown, the proximity of my ultimate destination is uncertain. Because of this, I must be more mindful of my journey and the direction I am heading in, appreciating the scenery, learning what I can from it, and sharing what I've learned with my fellow travelers, as they hopefully share with me. There is no map for this journey, but there is a guide. GOD. I have not done well to follow God's lead and have had to travel through unnecessary obstacles. Above all, I must seek His guidance. When I have been been faithful to God's lead, I have been amazed at where He has taken me. I can't image how marvelous the ultimate destination is that he has in store, if I can only steer down the road He has directed me.

No comments: