Thursday, March 27, 2008

Connected

I have to admit, I was feeling pretty proud of myself! I dedicated hours to analyzing fifty-five incident reports for one of my residents to collect data to present to his case worker. You might be thinking, "So what?" but, keep in mind the population I serve. When I refer to incidents, I really mean incidents. So this is not fun reading, folks. So, fifty-five incidents all within forty-seven weeks. Twenty-five of these incidents involved sexual misbehaviors. Yep. And this kid is twelve. Like I said, not fun reading. Twenty-six of these incidents involved aggressive or threatening behaviors. You get the picture. The list goes on and on. The numbers are astounding. This child literally does nothing but instigate and sexually act out. Sounds like I'm being pretty cold hearted, huh? But it's true! And I'm beginning to understand why. This poor child has been in over ten foster homes and facilities in his twelve years of life. He has endured abuse and neglect. He has never felt unconditional love. His own mother did not want him. And now he's left so isolated, feeling unattached. What easier ways are there to have intense interactions with people besides ticking them off and being sexual with them? And as he does these things, he is rejected. Isolated even more. So he ups the antics. Even more aggressive. Even more sexual. He is now to the point of threatening to kill others and propositioning people, both at least once per day. Connection. That's all he wants and this is the only way he knows how to get it. The only possible real connection he could really have right now is with God. There truly is no one else in his life except people paid to speak to him. And so I've been thinking about this a lot. A twelve year old boy, already deemed a predator, possibly even facing the registry. What possible connection with God could he already have? How could a connection be established when this child seems to have no sense of any entity outside of himself and his pain? What will God do with this child's life, after already committing such terrible deeds? Is it in God's plan that this child would do such awful, harmful things? The questions just go on . . . I started out feeling proud, but now I just feel . . . blah. But somehow in my questions, in all these thoughts and blahness (it's a word!), I feel the most connected that I've felt in a while. Weird. Any thoughts?

3 comments:

Keym said...

I have tons of questions like this with God. I know he has a plan for everything and that sometimes people interfere with his great plans but then I wonder "Why are you letting them interfere?" At last he does indeed have a plan, plans that we may never know. I can not begin to comprehend what God has in mind for that kid but I will pray that something miraculous comes out of it.
God bless you for all that you do for these lost and hurting children.

Shelby-Grace said...

There are times when I look at people's lives and think
"where was God in that mess?" And then I have to remember that this world is not perfect and I don't get to know all the answers to my why and where questions. But I have to trust in what I know to be true...that God is in control and does have a plan and a purpose. You have a tough job at times I'm sure, but I think God is truly blessing a lot of kids through you! Keep up the great job!

--V-- said...

no profound thoughts...but your report was amazing! You should take solace in the fact that all your hard work will help T get the help he needs.