Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Premonition of Peace



I love being creative, the problem is, I sometimes lack in ability.

Yesterday, for some reason, all day I had a strong urge to sketch a bird.

I haven't really drawn in years, so I tried to cast the thought aside, but it kept returning.

Finally, I decided to entertain the thought for awhile. Eventually, the image became quite vivid, and I had a clear picture of a bright green bird in my mind.

Later that evening, I settled down with a pad, pencil, and some oil pastels. I began with the bird, and for the most part, was pleased with the results. But something was missing.

An apple.

For no rhyme or reason, I knew that an apple was the missing part of the picture. And so, I added the apple. No background. Nothing else. Just a bright green bird and an apple.

And it was done.

It was evident my skills were quite rusty, but somehow I felt satisfied with my creation. But I couldn't help but wonder . . . Why a bird and apple?

So I did what any modern day man in a quandary would do. I Googled it. And found:

Many dream experts agree that birds symbolize premonition and future.

In some cultures, the apple represents peace.

Hmm . . . .

Tonight in small group we discussed there are no coincidences in life, only miracles.

I can't help but feel that maybe being inspired to make this picture was God's way of "commenting" about the feelings I recently expressed in a post called "Surrender" on March 17, 2008 . . .

Or maybe it's just coincidence . . .

I'd like to think not.

3 comments:

Keym said...

I love it! and I am not just saying that because you are my husband :0)

Shelby-Grace said...

I agree with Kim, great job Nathan on the picture! And with not pushing aside the thought of doing the picture, but taking your thought and making it come alive on paper.

--V-- said...

If you're skills are "rusty" now, I can only imagine what you'll come up with in the future?! Something beautiful I'm sure :)