Sunday, March 16, 2008

Surrender

Many birds surrender to captivity. They welcome the provisions of their keeper and grow to feel a certain security in their confinement.

Occasionally, however, a bird might reject captivity. This is the bird that relentlessly flaps it’s wings, pacing it’s cage and squawking loudly.

It's important to me to be authentic. Genuine.

I am this bird.

I act as though I have no sense to what hardships I might face without my Keeper. As though I have no appreciation for the unearned provisions.

And what happens to captive animals when they reject their new environment? Usually, they simply die.

The truth, it’s not captivity I am unable to surrender to. It’s God. He provides me with everything I need. But I am still having a difficult time just letting go.

And I don’t know why. I’ve surrendered before. What's so different now? I’m not really facing confinement. No cage. Just freedom. True, soaring freedom, as I only feel when I am completely surrendered to God.

God is my keeper, but He doesn’t want to put me in a cage. I’m doing a fine job of that myself. He wants to see me fly, as He created me to do. He wants to provide for me all my needs.

He is a loving Keeper.

So why can’t I just surrender as I have before?

2 comments:

Coby said...

i speak from my experience, but i think the problem often times is our definition of freedom. i know in my head that Christ offers me true freedom, but at the same time, the world and everything else tells me that freedom comes with making my own decisions. so then the question i'm left with is, what is freedom?

"the bondage breaker" and "victory over the darkness" both by neil anderson are good books on freedom in Christ, if you'd like to look into that. i'll be praying for you this week.

Keym said...

I am not the bird squaking for my "freedom", I am the bird content in my cage staying at the top when my keeper opens my door. I want nothing to do with my keeper until I need something like food, love or attention. At those times I am right there ready and eager for what my keeper can give me at that moment. What is worse a bird who consistently craves for their "freedom" or one that only wants to play by the rules when it is convenient for them? At least your honest and you are not trying to pull the wool over his eyes.