Monday, July 19, 2010

Show Me Yours

You'd be hard-pressed to casually flip through the bible without coming across some scripture challenging us, as followers of Christ, to love more. This love isn't just an emotion we're called to have. Its a verb; a life that we are called to live out.

1 John 3:23 "And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us."

We're here in Escondido to share this kind of love. So I've been wondering, what does it look like? After some consideration and bible reading, I think there are many answers to this question.

1 Corinthians 7:7 ". . . each man has his own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that."

So I think the right questions to ask are: What are my gifts? How do I use them to communicate love? How can I maximize that?

Me, I am an encourager. I don't blow hot air at people; I just honestly have a good eye for positive detail. That's how God wired me. I'm not just going to tell you, "Hey! Good job!" Instead, I'll say something like, "Great speech! I like how you explained . . . " or, "That was great! I especially liked the last song, when you . . . "

My dad? A total Mr. Fix-It. Stop by and visit him sometime, but don't feel bad if he isn't in the house chatting. Chances are, he's probably outside changing the oil in your car and checking the air-pressure in your tires.

Different gifts. Same love.

So, let me ask you the same questions: What are your gifts? How do you use them to communicate love? How can you maximize that?

Think. Use. Maximize.

I'm working on it. And you should be, too.
After all, there's always room to grow.

No comments: