Thursday, July 15, 2010

Love/Hate and Enabling

"Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good." Romans 12:9

It seems to me that love, at it purest, is accompanied by the detestation of all that is not good in accordance to God.

After all, God Himself hates sin, as many verses in the bible teach us.
Let me stress, I know God doesn't hate us.

He loves us immeasurably.

Our sin distances us from Him.
And distance is the last thing God could ever want from us!

In fact, He wants to adopt us all as His own children:

"He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will." Ephesians 1:5

But sin, He hates.

So, I don't understand why, as Christians, we so often fail to name sin for what it is.
 I am a sinner. 
And so are you.

Perhaps in our blind acceptance of another man's sin, its easy to deny our own.

Many argue the case that we are to live in love.
Yes, of course!

" . . . and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God." Ephesians 5:2

But as we turn a blind eye to our brothers' and sisters' shame, are we truly loving them? 
Or are we encouraging ungodly behavior?

I wish I could say I detest sin; that it sickens me as much as it does some other Godly men I known. 
I can't yet.
But I can say that I recognize sin. 
In me. In others. All around.

And I will acknowledge it for what it is.

No comments: