Saturday, June 5, 2010

This Mess

My first (and appropriately titled) GarageBand song, 'This Mess' . . .

Not sure how I feel about GarageBand yet. I need practice! All the pre-recorded loops and such! I can't quite get the feel and melody that's in my head and in the lyrics to come through in the music. But it was fun trying!

Actually, no it wasn't.
It was very frustrating trying, and the end result is disappointing . . .
I can't even sing the whole song in-key because not all the chords are where they should be. Gr!

Music is one of those things I'm  just so drawn towards, driven to create but not really skilled or equipped for. Its incredibly aggravating and can really get depressing at times.

Its like . . . um, like when you're a child, laying in bed so tired. As exhausted as you are, you're legs are restless as though you could run for miles, but its 9:00pm and you're six years old, so all you can do is stir. 

I did that from time to time as a kid anyway. And that's how I feel now when there's all these lyrics and melodies, harmonies and runs in my head with nowhere else to go.

No brilliant voice to unleash them with. No fantastic compositional skills to document them. No beautiful instrumentation to  bring them to life.

Just my head for them to echo in, driving me crazy.
Eh, oh well.
Such is art ;o)

So here it is. My mess.
 
This Mess from Nathan Harris on Vimeo.

3 comments:

Brandon said...

Keep it up, I loved the lyrics!

David said...

Love this Nate - even if you're not 100% happy, remember none of us listening know what you were/are.

Love how well the music fits the lyrics & melody. Keep trying - GBand is a great time-sucker :)

Nathan said...

Wow! Thanks David! That means a lot coming from the GarageBand king ;o)