Friday, May 13, 2011

sorta

Last Sunday at The Branches, PK led us into the third installment of our SKEPTIC series, highlighting upon a story in the book of Mark that I’d never really thought much of before. Basically, it’s the tale of a skeptical father who turns to Jesus and says, “Hey, if you can heal my son, then please do,” with some hefty stress on the word “IF.”

If you’re not familiar with the story or want to brush up on it, click HERE to check it out!

Lots of people say they either believe or don’t believe, but in reality most of us fall into the category of “sorta believe.”

I personally spent many years in this category. So what changed? Well, I found myself around some great people I could candidly discuss my doubts and struggles with. And then those great people encouraged me to act out on the faith I already did have. Instead of just standing still, I found myself moving forward, essentially beginning my walk.

So it was no surprise to me when PK strongly encouraged us all to 1.) Be honest about our struggles, and 2.) Act on the faith we have.

When the skeptical father approached Jesus, He did these exact two things; he was honest of his doubts (“if”) and yet he still approached Jesus and requested his aide.

SPOILER ALERT; Jesus healed the man’s son.

What jumps out at me in this chapter is verse 24, when the father cries out "I believe; help my unbelief!"

What a beautiful prayer! It’s a proclamation of faith, yet an honest statement that some disbelief may still exist within him. And it’s an act of the faith he does have; a prayer he makes based on his belief that prayers can be answered.

This is a prayer I hope I pray everyday until I see Him face to face.

No comments: