Sunday, May 1, 2011

Pirated

It seemed like the right thing to do at the moment. He asked so nicely, and seemed so desperate. He had just relocated from up north, and didn't have an Internet service provider yet.

He needed web access to retrieve a conformation code from his e-mail account, something to do with a moving truck delivering his belongings later that morning. Or so he said.

I should have asked more questions, but I wanted to be neighborly; I recall all those little inconveniences that pop up the first several weeks after a big move. I wanted to be helpful.

Were I a smart man, I would have invited him into my home and offered him a few minutes use of my own computer under my discrete supervision. But instead of being a smart man, I'm . . . me.

So what did I do? I told him my network name and pass code.
I know. I know. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Within days of this act of kindness/foolishness I received a warning on behalf of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. to immediately cease my copyright infringement activities.
WARNER FREAKIN' BROS!!!

Apparently, my upstairs neighbor is an asshole. And apparently he has awful taste in movies. I mean, really!? If you were going to risk persecution for piracy, wouldn't you at least go for something other than Sucker Punch!?!?

Oh, and yes, I'm an idiot.

1 comment:

Coby said...

Easy! I want to see Sucker Punch! Speaking of which, does this guy make copies? If so, give him my address and tell him to send me a copy. ;] lol