Sunday, October 10, 2010

Today's Writing Prompt: Lie

Write about a time someone told you a lie when you were growing up.

My dad is an ornery guy at times.

I was a little tyke, not sure how old I was. My dad would put horseradish on his sandwiches. Not the mild, creamy stuff you buy in a squeeze bottle. He actually grew the horseradish, grated it, and made the dressing himself.

It's hot. Burn-my-nose-when-I-take-a-bite kinda hot.
I love the stuff now, but as kid, dang.

So, there I was. Innocent and all cute and stuff. Passing through the kitchen.
And Dad offers me a bite of his sandwich. I declined and told him I knew it had that hot stuff in it.

Then the lie.

He said it didn't, probably thinking I was just doing that kid thing where you say you don't like something but you've never really tried it. But what Dad didn't know was, I really never did that as I kid. I pretty much tried it all.

So I naively took a bite.
Yep. It burned my nose.

No comments: