Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Polluted and Toxic

I am POLLUTED.

A couple weeks ago, I had a conversation with the counselor of the treatment program I supervise. She is a sixty-two year old Japanese woman, and nearly everything she says sounds like some fantastic snippet of ancient wisdom.

She said, "I worry about our souls. Our spirits. We are surrounded by people so, so sick. I wonder, what does this do to us? This is my biggest concern."

I attempted to convince her, and myself, that I didn't worry about this. But I do. There is no question about it.

I am POLLUTED.

I am TOXIC.

The stories. Oh, the stories. The countless, disturbing stories. All social norms indicate repeating them is inappropriate. But I do. I have to. So I just perpetuate the "Ick Factor," I spread that disgusted, disturbed feeling by relaying the content of my days.

Last week, Kimberly and I were going through laundry and something fell from a pocket of a pair of my work pants. This is never a good thing. It was a photograph of a little girl around three years old. She is the sister and victim of one of my residents. I confiscated the picture, which is protocol when someone in the photo is a victim, on my way out the door. I didn't have time to go back to my office, so the picture found itself into my pocket, forgotten, and eventually into my home.

Seeing this picture just sitting there on my dresser, in my home made me sick. Explaining to my wife, when she asked what it was, made me sick.

She is very strong and understanding, but Kimberly had every right to feel sick herself. And she, along with everyone else, has a right to feel sick each evening when I answer the question "How was your day?"

I am TOXIC.

God is still providing me with new and different ways to purify, de-toxify myself daily. Recently, it has been very helpful to just seclude myself and spend time with Him. I've been taking walks alone and listening to worship music the past couple days. Even when I haven't felt like it, I've forced myself. I seem to feel a peace after a good "quarantine" and time with God, which makes me believe even more that my co-worker is right. I should be concerned about my soul. Otherwise, no treatment would be needed.

So what do you think? I want some outside perspectives. Being around great people seems to lift our spirits, and sometimes even make us better people just being around them. What about sick people? What do they do to the spirit of those around them?

2 comments:

Kris Sorensen said...

Dealing with pain and dysfunction in people's lives myself I can identify with what you are talking about... although I don't have to deal with it as often as you do.

Ever since entering the ministry I have had to remind myself not to take my "work" home with me. I had to work at disasociating myself from the people and the problems that I heard about. A strong sense of boundaries and self-awareness is important (I'm sounding like a psychiatrist :-)

I'm so glad you are finding ways of getting some peace in your life by focussin on the Lord. I try to remind myself that I need to take breaks in order to recharge - otherwise I won't be any goood to anyone.

I try to relax daily - take short little breaks from my work each day... rest weekly - I take full advantage of my day off... and I retreat yearly - I will completely remove myself from the demands of the "job" during my vacation.

Thank you for ministering to so many hurting children. I'm sure it can be difficult - but I know how God has wired you and you are a blessing to these young men.

Keym said...

Can I get an AMEN!