Saturday, November 20, 2010

Innovator of the Year

A few days ago I was counting my blessings while driving to work. I mean, seriously, I get paid to be me.

You see, being an effective residential counselor doesn't necessarily mean being super smart, having all the right answers, or being able to control people or situations. I don't even need to know every little detail about my clients. Its actually more about knowing myself.

Everything I love, I take with me and share. I incorporate it into what I do in my group-home, and it enriches the lives of the residents. I take pictures with them during activities for their scrapbooks. I sing songs to them and play the guitar. I read the bible to them and teach them about Jesus. I take them on hikes. I play video games with them. I make crafts and art. I build forts out of sheets and string and read stories . . . All while on the clock! A photographer, a rockstar, an artist, a bard, a pastor.  Anything at any minute.

So the next day after contemplating just how blessed I am to get paid to make a difference in the lives of these kids by doing all my favorite things, I attend a ceremony and am completely blindsided to be awarded as Innovator of the Year.

Innovator of the Year? Its still sinking in. I've only been there for about four months! And is being yourself, and being kinda creative, really all that innovative?

I think the moral is: be yourself.
And: God is awesome. That's always the moral, right? I mean, He led me where I am and confirmed His will for me over and over again. He's pushed me and pushed me to be more bold in sharing His love. To be more me. And He's been so present through it all.

So I guess another moral would be: be obedient! He's faithful and will always see you through.
How innovative.

2 comments:

Josh said...

Congratulations Nathan!

Melissa said...

Wow! That is great Nathan! Keep being your self, you are so awesome!