Friday, November 26, 2010

Day 3: 10 Things You Hate

1. Poor parenting. Srsly. I mean, sure, without trashtastic peeps out there pushing out babies like its their purpose in life, finding a job in my field of work would be more like a competitive sport. Yeah, these kinds of kiddos do occasionally come from good, loving homes too, but not often.
2. Impatience. Wow, this drives me crazy at times. I often remind my kids at work that, when they get so worked up and and have a melt-down because things aren't going as they think it should, they have basically just reverted back to being two years old. This lack of emotional control and restrain is the exact same fuel that powers tantrums. Its not cute when they're tiny, and its even less endearing when they're super-sized. But find yourself in a delayed check-out line at Wal-Mart, and most likely, you'll find an adult or two escalating.
3. Animal cruelty. Its right there under 'people cruelty.' It takes a sick, twisted person to enjoy inflicting pain to any of God's creation.
4. Hominy. Its just gross. And weird. What the hell is hominy anyway!?
5. Egocentricity. You know, its that "if it doesn't quack like me, then its a messed up duck," kinda attitude. How could one person ever develop the audacity to believe that he or she is the definition of . . . right!? Racism, prejudice, intolerance, bigotry, etc. The whole idea that, "you're not right because you're not like me!" is just, well, ignorant.
6. Math. Yep. Definitely math. (see post Day 1: 10 Things About Me, #9)
7. Gotta say, I hate the devil. Sneaky, trouble-making little fella, he is! Sometimes I think the enemy understands about the heart of man more than the man himself that the heart beats within. And I pretty much hold him responsible for all things included on this list. Yes, that includes hominy. And math.
8. Socks with sandals. I've seen it. You've seen it. Enough said.
9. Addictions. Back to that dang devil again. Probably one of his most dangerous weapons. It tears lives apart. Families. Children. And we all probably have at least one, maybe in the unconventional sense, if we'd think it through enough. God is really all we need to make it day by day. But addictions tell us this just isn't so.
10. Doubt. Insecurity. Depression and anxiety. Sigh. Wouldn't life be grand if we were all just happy!? It seems a bit  . . . I don't know, conceded (maybe?) to wish we could all just like ourselves. Truly like ourselves. But doesn't God command we love others as ourselves? And wouldn't that imply we should . . . love ourselves? When I look at mistakes I've made, character flaws within myself and other people around me, they can usually be boiled down to these kinds of feelings. People wandering through life trying to find themselves. Or comfort themselves on account of who they really are.  We're messed up, but none-the-less, created by the Creator. Chosen. And with purpose. This is probably yet another thing on my "hate list" that contributes greatly to the, um, bountifulness of my career field.

1 comment:

Coby said...

Completely agree with the hominy statement.