Sunday, September 18, 2011

Reassurance

James shared a message today at the Branches from the Book of Matthew. One thing I love about James' teaching (there are several things, btw) is how much 'behind the scenes' info he gives. He offers each story with all this background stuff that really enriches its meaning.

Today he shared about an interaction John the Baptist's disciples had with Jesus. John had sent them to ask Jesus if he was really 'the one.'

What's interesting is that John really already knew the answer. But in the oppression of imprisonment he needed reassurance.

Jesus responded, "Go and tell John what you hear and see: the blind receive their sight and the lame walk, lepers are cleansed and the deaf hear, and the dead are raised up, and the poor have good news preached to them. And blessed is the one who is not offended by me." (Matthew 11:4-6 ESV)

John needed reassurance.  He sought reassurance. And he found it.

I think that, from time to time, we all need reassurance. But if you're anything like myself, you might fail to search for it. For me, its because I feel guilty that I would even need reassurance in the first place.

So this little story of reassurance...
was reassuring.

God wants me to find reassurance , and you too.
So let's go after it.

No comments: