Wednesday, June 8, 2011

right here

Today a therapeutic behavior coach stopped me to chat for a few minutes. She has some clients that live on the campus I work on, so she's seen me around with my kiddos, and apparently she's been watching me closely.

This gal really stroked my ego, you know; in that flirtatious way that made me feel really good about myself yet borderline awkward because I'm a happily married man and we're supposed to be professionals here...

So, anyhow, she told me she loved my music; the way I sing to the kids and play guitar. She had some very specific examples of how and why I'm "great" with my kids; I'm so sweet and understanding and caring, and blah blah blah.

It was all very flattering and honestly it was touching. Her words, although a bit over the top, meant a lot to me.

But then she went from stroking my ego to rubbing me the wrong way. She gave me the "you're too good for this" speech. She meant well, and people always do mean well when they says these kinds of things, but... no, I'm not interested in going back to school and being a therapist right now. Yes, I really am satisfied in my work.

Do I really appear to be degrading myself so much that people feel the need to tell me I can "do better" for myself? I'm honored to do life with these kids. In doing so, I'm able to share God's love in a way that'd be impossible to do in just one one hour session a week.

Again, I know she meant well, and I'm sure everyone always does, but this attitude and way of thinking really bugs me. Its practically un-American of me to admit, but I'm happy where I'm at; I don't have grandiose dreams of climbing to the top of some kind of ladder. I'm okay being on the frontline and not having that certain status job.

Its okay with me. But its not okay with me that its not okay with you. Which is lame and I need to just get over it. But dang.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.9

No comments: