Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Today's Writing Prompt: Expectations

Do you have expectations of someone that are too high? Does someone else have expectations of you that are too high?

Oh, hell yes! I'm awful at expecting too much from most people in my life. The thing is, I tend to be surrounded by critical people. This reads pretty negative, but really I'm just referring to their attention to detail and pursuit of excellence; Type A kinda folks, basically.

And these people, by nature, are not the best at offering encouragement and communicating constructively. Its just not a big part of their skill set.

And I unfairly expect them to provide these things for me. A lot. I'm a needy person, always self doubting. After tearing myself apart, I expect my friends to build me back up. And that's simply not their job.


Do others expect too much out of me?

Well, I'm not the best at communicating where I'm at in relation to my limits until I'm teetering on the edge, so yes. But this my own fault. I'm working on it.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Erm....I am a type A.....