Wednesday, May 15, 2013

this kid

This kid, he's kinda awesome. His 'lil bro and 'rents aren't too bad either. Here's something his momma had to say on FB today:

3 years ago, Isaiah was sick. He refused to eat, had excessive thirst, was losing weight and lethargic. We had to wait for the official diagnosis, but we already knew. Type I Diabetes at 2 1/2 years old. So little. So scared of shots and finger pricks.

Today we have a 5 1/2 year old who is so brave and responsible, that I can't hardly believe it sometimes. He has been forced to grow up (in some ways) a little too fast. Waiting for meals until his blood sugar has been checked, realizing that there are times he can't eat what everybody else is enjoying. And he's okay with it. He doesn't cry, and rarely complains.

Diabetes sucks.

But I am so thankful. I'm thankful that God knew this was coming, and He had created Isaiah with such a calm, patient and adaptive personality. I'm thankful for the discovery of insulin and now, because of God-granted wisdom to some doctors, maintenance of the disease is manageable. I'm also thankful for all the support we received at diagnosis, and continue to experience from friends and family.

I look forward to watching Isaiah grow into a man, and using his gifts to help spread the Kingdom.

Yep. Love this kid. And when the strain of working as a childcare counselor gets to be too much for me, all I gotta do is pop in for a visit with this little guy. Instant therapy. His calm, caring, and good nature just melts all the 'yuck-of-the-world' right off my heart. A reminder of hope. He will, no doubt, spread the Kingdom. 

No comments: