Friday, May 25, 2012

from thrones and crowns to bowing down

The God who spoke the universe into existence humbled Himself to wash the feet of men; He didn't descend to Earth to live as a king, but as a servant. He was ridiculed, spit on, beaten, crucified...

Shaun Groves said it fantastically...
"Is it possible that the descending way of Jesus might be God’s way for me?
I’m thankful for the Josephs who govern from pharaoh’s side for the good of the masses, for the Esthers who influence the influencers and change the trajectory of history.

But where are those people called by God to step down, leave behind, earn less, influence fewer, to follow? Does God only call His Son to downward mobility? Or does God call me downward too and I fail to recognize His voice because it sounds too backward?"
Borrowed from here

My flesh cries out in defiance; I want to be one of the Josephs. I want to govern. I want to influence influencers. I want, I want, I want... But I don't want to want anymore. I want to stop wanting.

There is no greater importance for mankind than sharing the immeasurable importance of our Christ. This is our purpose, from the top rung down to the bottom of the ladder. It's an incredible purpose, one I am unworthy of, but gifted by regardless.

Where are the people God called to step down? They're all around. We tend to not see them because they're bowed down at the foot of the cross. Some people are called to be seen for the glory of God, while others are called to be unseen for the same purpose.

We live in a culture where men sit on thrones and wear crowns.
We live with a calling to serve and bow down.

Descending from our own crumbling kingdoms to ascend into His eternal one.
Downward mobility.
Jesus made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death — even death on a cross! – Philippians 2:7,8

No comments: