Wednesday, November 18, 2009

rein in me

Chances are, I won't post this. Or if I do, I'll probably just get up in the middle of the night and delete it. Sometimes it just helps to write things out. Its hard to be vulnerable. And I don't want to be one of those people, but . . . I've been having a really difficult time with anxiety and depression lately. Some days its one or the other. Other days its a mixture of both. Probably why I have trouble sleeping sometimes. I use to be medicated and sometimes wonder if maybe I still should be, but that never really seemed to help me. Its irrational. Its really about nothing, but in the heat of it it feels like its about everything. Today I just felt afraid. I didn't want to do my job because I was afraid I wouldn't do it right. I was given the opportunity to lead worship this weekend but felt too anxious to do it. The thought of going to growth group made me feel like I had a pit in my stomach. And even though they are all great people and we had great conversations, the pit never went away until I was able to shut the car door behind me to head home. There is a lot to unpack. Some good. Some bad. Some just silly and no unpacking required. I've come to the realization recently that anxiety, depression, and the sense of worthlessness & uselessness I often feel play a big part in my walk with Christ. This is a weakness the enemy can use against me, or a way for God to be glorified, all based on who I allow to rein in my life. God, rein in me.

5 comments:

David said...

Praying for you Nate.

Tonya said...

Nate,

This is a testing time for a lot of us. I have been struggling myself with anxiety and hurt feelings. I am reminded when I go to His word that I am right where he wants me, relying on Him for EVERYTHING. It's easy to live for God when all is well in your life. But when life comes at you hard, that's where our real faith is tested. You are an awesome man of God and you will get through this. Remember that the enemy is already defeated! We just have to claim that victory every minute of every day. Read Psalm 91 today, it's one of my favorites when I'm struggling.I am praying for you and Kimberly. Love you guys!

Kris Sorensen said...

Thank you for being vulnerable. It's a reminder to others of us to do the same. The enemy may hate you; but I love you as a brother.

Melissa said...

Nathan I am so proud of you! You are being very bold in putting yourself out there. I know so many people struggling with anxiety and depression right now. It stinks that this is something the enemy can so easily use against us. We can help each other fight it by being open and honest so THANK YOU for speaking up. My anxiety was through the roof for two days but since the retreat it has been on the decline. I encourage you to stay in the word and keep worship music close to your ears :) Audrey and I prayed for you this morning and will continue to!

mike said...

My girlfriend struggles with these issues (anxiety, depression) sometimes. She is in fact medicated but I would like to see her completely freed from the meds.

We recently started reading a book that has been helping, not only her but me as well. It's called "Walking In Victory". Have you heard of it? I feel every believer should own it. It's like the Christians how to book, next to the Bible. The part that has been helping us is the chapter on Renewing Your Mind. It explains a lot of what your going through and how and what the enemy is planting into your thought system. This book rocks bro. It has many more detailed chapters like the Baptism in the Holy Spirit, Knowing Who You Are In Christ, etc.. Like I said, it's detailed, very informative and accurate. If you would like a copy I would be more than happy to send you one, just give me the word. God Bless and thanks for being transparent