Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Thankful: lunch . . . no, it's not just about food!

Sometimes we just need a break. Time to . . . chill. At work, we call this lunch. In fact, in my office, I am the lunch-nazi. It's not always gauged by the growling of bellies, but sometimes the growling of my co-workers when their frustrations have reached a certain level. I sense it and know . . . its time for lunch. And so there are these occasional days where I push and insist and nag and coax until finally calling to place the lunch orders after convincing everyone it's time to take a break. Its okay to take a break. I have no doubt that on these days I am annoying. Everyone feels like what they're doing is important. And it probably is. But they need lunch. I see how much they need it. How much more productive they are afterwards.
In life, whenever I feel I've reached a certain point of exhaustion, something happens. Things change. I'm forced to slow. To stop. To be refueled. Sometimes I fight it, insisting on operating according to my own schedule. During these times, God gets in my face. He tells me its time for lunch. Sometimes I say, "no," but I'm learning that this isn't so wise. I'm starting to finally appreciate His timing, and learning to gratefully accept when He says "lunch," excited to see what's afterwards.

1 comment:

David said...

Great post Nate!

And Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family :)