Wednesday, April 1, 2009

A Day I Just HAVE to Blog About!

The adventure began early when one of my clients became so aroused while in school he couldn’t contain himself. He was brought back to the cottage where we attempted to redirect his focus towards something more appropriate. Despite our efforts, the teen masturbated without any hesitation, right in front of my staff and myself. Coincidently, I was working on seeking a more appropriate placement for this child right before his behavioral outbursts. He is actively psychotic, hallucinating about people telling him to do sexual things, so it was determined that a temporary hospitalization was necessary to address his mental health issues. This type of change in placement involves a large stack of paper work, tracking down tons of pre-existing documents, and lots of interdisciplinary communication. Basically, life becomes a whirlwind for about four or five hours. Well, in the midst of this whirlwind yesterday, I learned that the bank that Kimberly works at was robbed. She was safe and unharmed, but I couldn’t stop thinking about how something unfortunate could have happened. My thoughts were racing about how scared she must have been and I just wanted to be with her. I tried to muster up enough focus to complete my task for work and delegated some of the responsibilities I was handling to my staff to speed up the process. I had one last thing to do, then I was going to go be with Kimberly. I needed to inform the teen’s father that his son was being hospitalized. I thought it would be an awkward conversation, maybe even a little emotional, but didn’t expect anything out of the ordinary. I called the father and as gently as possibly explain the situation. The father promptly told me, “Well, you better put on your bullet proof vest because it’s about to be a blood bath!” The threats continued for about twelve minutes. He also made threats involving some other people, and I had a moral and professional obligation to notify them immediately. There is nothing quite like sitting down with a mother and saying, “So, you’re son is going to a mental hospital. By the way, when I called to tell your ex-husband about it he said he was going to kill you and kidnap your other child.” Needless to say, it was an awful conversation to have. Finally, I got to leave work and went to the city hall to report the threats. This took about an hour. The officer was very nice but he made it clear that threats to care providers only tend to be taken seriously when it is directed towards a probation officer or a teacher. Special charges are pressed against criminals who threaten these people, and I’m not one of them. I really didn’t want to report the threats, but my supervisor at work made me. It just seems like it’s only going to make this crazy man hate me and want me dead even more. Speaking of which, today I’m changing my blog settings so only people with permission may read it. I guess that’s probably just the smart thing to do when someone says they’re going to shoot you. So anyway, I finally made it home to Kimberly. We can’t help but be in shock. What a crazy coincidence that we would have these experiences on the same day! Crazy!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I kept reading this thinking eventually you would say, "April Fools!" but you didn't. So I take it this is all for real. All I can say is Praise God he protected you two and brought you back together safe and sound. I will keep you both in my prayers.

Kris Sorensen said...

Wow! If you need to talk with someone face to face; you know how to get in touch with me. We will be praying.

Tonya said...

I'm so sorry you guys had to go through all that. I will be praying for the rest of the week to be peaceful for you guys.

--V-- said...

What a day. Thumbs way down to that!

terri said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Coby said...

Wow... that stinks. Majorly. I hope the situation gets better and that good things come of it. God has a way of doing that.

brenda c said...

I can't even begin to imagine how you must have felt by the end of that day! My prayers for your safety will be constant. I admire you and others like you that are willing to serve these troubled children and families, God Bless You and Kimberly.