Sunday, October 9, 2011

Needs and Wants

Ever run into one of those teeny tiny ankle biters that thinks he's a giant canine beast? There's a new kid in the group home I work in and he's just like one of those little dogs.

He is a constant reminder of my own self-centeredness.

One moment he's this big thug that's gonna kill me, and the next moment he's this crying little kid that misses his mommy and needs to be sung to sleep at night because he's scared of the dark.

There are these times when I need to yell at him to get him under control and keep him safe. There are times I need to point out his 'gangster vs. kiddy' personas because he needs to understand himself and his issues.

And there are times I WANT to do what I NEED to do because I'm frustrated. Because it feels good to yell at him. Granted, its what NEEDS to be done, but I sometimes find myself doing it out of WANT.

Its humbling.
I've had to pray all week for God to replenish my mercifulness.

And, of course, He provides, reminding me the difference between NEEDS and WANTS.

Even when they're the same.

No comments: