Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Good Deeds?

I'm concerned.

We live in a token based society, and I see the benefits of it. It's a logical system; consequences and rewards are motivating. But there doesn't seem to be much focus on character anywhere.

In the group-home I'm working in, we have the "good deed box." Different undesirable behaviors warrant one or more good deeds, based on the particular offense. The good deeds are drawn randomly from the box as a consequence. All privileges are restricted until the deeds are completed.

For example, lets say I punch you in the face. You weren't instigating me; my aggression was totally unprovoked by you. In this case, I would have to draw three cards at random from the Good Deeds box. So I wash a couple windows, sweep the hallway, and wipe down the counters. Then presto! Just like that, I'm off the hook! Its like nothing ever happened! That black eye you have? It doesn't exist anymore.

I just feel like we're teaching these kids that there's this cosmic scale out there, measuring the weight of our choices and actions, and that as long as we counter-act our cruelty with good deeds or extra chores, then 'by golly, you're a good person! Everything's okay!'

But its not okay. I don't believe that making decisions based on the  fear of impending consequences and the hope for positive rewards is what we should be teaching children. Sometimes in life we find ourselves in situations where there are no consequences or rewards, and what motivates us in these times must be something more internal. Or eternal.

I get the Good Deed box. I really do. I see the point. But I also see kids engage in harmful, selfish behavior just to turn around and say, "Can I do my good deeds now?" instead of processing anything resembling remorse.

No comments: