Friday, February 4, 2011

Today's Writing Prompt: Storm

Write about a storm that affected you in some way.

The Fire of '05 . . .

Actually, it was a terrible ice storm. Trees and power lines were so weighed down with ice they snapped like tooth-picks. It was a three day black-out. And some people went even longer without power.

Thankfully, we had a fireplace. And lots of candles.
And so did -V- and her momma, who lived right across from us.
We all spent a lot of time together playing cards. And starving.

Because its more fun to suffer as a group, you know.

So there we were, playing cards, and -V-'s momma stood up and caught her pant leg on fire from a candle. I vaguely remember shouting her name, even though she was, like, two feet from me.

I think my favorite memory of that whole ordeal, was when we were all sitting in front of the fire place, nearly at our wit's end with the situation, when -V-'s momma said, "I'm about done with this 'Kumbaya' shit!"

I think we all laughed until our sides hurt.

No comments: