Saturday, June 7, 2008

A Thousand Words . . . Like "Really"

A Picture says a thousands words . . .

like "really?!?!"

This man appears elated, just to be sitting here with his newborn baby and the mother of his child. But is he really?

This man was becoming a very good friend of mine around the time this picture was taken. We were really getting to know one another. But Really?

The last conversation I had with him was at the jail house, while he awaited his sentencing for strangling the marvelous woman in this picture. Really.

My last words to him ever were, "I love you. I'll be praying for you." But really?

I wish I never saw this picture, and the others that came along with it.

Really
.

I didn't see them until after the murder. They complicate everything. It's easier to think of this man as a monster. It just makes more sense that way. In some of the pictures, he's actually crying while holding his son. Looking so human. Not exactly how I'd like to think of him.

But I have no choice. Really.

This picture comes to mind often. Almost everyday. Really.

I'm wondering if I'm supposed to reach out to this man again.

But I don't want to. Really.

But I didn't want to last time either. But I had no choice.

Really.

3 comments:

Mommy pfohl said...

Nate- My heart just goes out to you and Keym in this situation... part of me wants to tell you to forgive and to love him because of Christ, but the other part of me knows that is not easy and is not at all what you want to do because he gave one of the deepest hurts one could have... I'm so sorry. I will pray for both of you to have a heart like Christ and that HE WOULD hold you close in this journey and HE would lead you in the direction HE wants you to go... Many prayers and hugs to you both. -Mindy

Shelby-Grace said...

I'm just going to ditto Mindy's comment! Praying for you both!

Anonymous said...

Ugh. I've got a word. Shoot.