Thursday, July 12, 2012

poy'-ay-mah


ποίημα (poy'-ay-mah), Greek


1)     ballad, poem
2)     a thing made, a work, workmanship
3)     a masterpiece
4)     a work of God as creator
                a) made with a purpose

For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. - Ephesians 2:10 (ESV)

Most translations of the New Testament adapt this Greek word into English as workmanship, but I prefer a more literal translation when it comes to this particular verse:

I am a poem, written by the hand of God...

This speaks volumes to me. I write. A lot. I know how much the pieces I've written mean to me. I understand the emotion and thought that goes into writing them. 

They belong to me, and I love them. They are a part of me. They mean something.

I'm overwhelmed with love when I think that this, this is what I am to God. I am His poem. His ballad. He wrote me, and as with all things written, I do have meaning.

No comments: