Friday, April 29, 2011

starved

This upcoming service at the Branches will address tough questions we all have, such as, "Why do bad things happen to good people?"

In preparation for this weeks 'edition' of SKEPTIC (a tabloid theme we've created for this series to illustrate common struggles in faith), I started searching online for images I wanted to use for the 'front page.'

When using the prompt 'Is God fair?' to get the 'ol creative juices flowing, well... you can naturally expect some not so positive images to arise.

But I couldn't prepare myself for the reality I faced when Googling the word famine.

Take the picture above, for example. 
Look closely. Five adults.
Look closer. Three children. Three children so starved and frail they're barely even there.

Mother Teresa was once quoted saying, "Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat." There is so much truth to her words. And just imagine the sense of insignificance; the feeling of being unwanted, unloved, uncared for and forgotten by the world, to starve to death. To watch the babies around you starve to death.

My heart breaks for these people; starved, and in so many ways.

No comments: