Thursday, May 25, 2017

This Lady: Her View

My name is Nathan. I am a feminist.

There. I said it.

But feminism may not be what you think it is. It's not about man-bashing to make women stronger; it's about acknowledging and appreciating the strength women already have. Or, at least, thats what I read on a really cool meme once... Either way, God has enriched my life with some incredible women. Their immeasurable and often unacknowledged influence has shaped who I am and aspire to be.

In honor and appreciation of these women, and of all women who breathe life into those around them, I'm writing a series of posts called "This Lady." I hope to inspire a few moments of mindful gratitude to whomever stumbles across my virtual chicken scratches.

It was late 2006, and the sudden loss of a dear friend hit me hard. It also devastated my wife. We were young, and it was the first real tragedy we'd experienced as a newlywed couple. I was worried that I might not know how to grieve and be a supportive husband at the same time.

< Enter Tracey >

I can't quite remember exactly what she said to me, but I can guarantee it was more about how she said it; with sincere compassion. She didn't hand me a list of "should do's," but instead, she pointed me inwards. She redirected me back to my own faith and to who I am as a natural caregiver. Empathy showed in her eyes as she stayed the course, not steering away to a more palatable conversation as most people would have.

Fellow sociology major and Ball State Alumni, Tracey also introduced me to pumpkin spice (true story). An advocate for adoption, diversity, and multiculturalism, she humbly shares from a place of both academia and personal experience. Tracey is also a badass. She candidly shares pieces of her journey while discovering what it means to be a breast cancer survivor. Her accounts are real and inspiring, and the zeal she has for life is contagious.

It's difficult to describe exactly what makes her such a powerful woman, but the answer would certainly include her insight and perception. Most of us would be better off if we could just catch a glimpse of the world, and of one another, from her view.

Read the 1st installment of this series HERE, and the 2nd installment HERE.

No comments: